Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Something you should be wearing everyday but you're probably not



Did you know even if you use makeup with an SPF you would need to use at least two tablespoons worth of the product to receive any of the sun protecting benefits? Wow--that's a lot of foundation / tinted moisturizer/powder/schlack--especially if you live in a humidity filled climate, (Can we say major meltdown?). So what's a girl on a perfect skin quest to do? Wear a good broad spectrum sunscreen everyday. Yes, under your spf'd makeup and yes, I know, this is not something you haven't heard before. Right now I'm loving Korres Watermelon Sunscreen Face Cream SPF 30 ($28, Sephora). It is a tad rich, and contains a bit of titanium dioxide, so you definitely have to work it in and let your skin soak it up a bit before applying your barrage of cosmetics, but the extra time spent in my opinion is worth it. I love this cream! I skip my moisturizer and just use this product because of its richness, and it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin--even the delicate skin around my puffy, dark circles, ahem, I mean eyes. And, hey did I mention it's organic--BONUS!
Now, I know that some of you, a.) just don't have nearly enough time let anything soak in and, b.) may not want to spend $28 plus shipping on a 1.69oz tube of sunscreen, (even if it does last a long time), because we're inching closer to recession and that $28 needs to go into savings--I hear ya sister. In such cases I would also highly recommend, the old faithful, Oil of Olay (yes, Olay...if it was good enough for grandma and has stood the test of time, it's good enough for you). The one I really dig is Olay Complete All Day UV Defense Moisture Lotion (about $9, in most drugstores). It's light, non-greasy, designed for sensitive skin and has great UV protection with a bit zinc oxide thrown in for good measure. This product doesn't really need any soakin' in time just slather this on and go.
PS- Don't forget to slather some SPF on your hands, neck, décolleté, and ears!






No comments: